Hollis Seniors Newsletter
Hollis, NH 03049
President: Donna Wardlow P: 673-6415 Email: email@example.com
Vice President: Marion Keith P: 465-2713 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary: Bob Fiero P: 966-0709 Email: email@example.com
Treasurer: Nancy Bell P: 465-7822 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Editor/Photographer: Andy Seremeth P: 880-8685 Email: Aseremeth@aol.com
Programs: Sheryl Ryder P: 465-2706 Email: Sryder2706@aol.com
Hollis Seniors meet every Thursday at the Lawrence Barn Community Center. Gathering starts at 11 AM and Meals on Wheels is usually brought in at noon. A program usually follows the meal or members stay and socialize, playing games of their choice.
Hollis Seniors web site: www.Hollisseniors.org
Email group: Hollisemail@example.com
Each Thursday, we have a pre-meeting activity, from 10:15 -11:00, which is our Chair Yoga Class. Folks: would you like to improve your balance this coming year? Then come early to our yoga class, where you will find increased Strength, Flexibility and Relaxation. Jennifer Jean, who is a Certified Yoga instructor for Elliot Hospital, St Joseph Hospital and Senior Fitness Centers, teaches this class.
We started off the month by having a presentation by Rachael Ramonow, from the HBHS, on the Mexican celebration of the “Day of the Dead”, or better known as all Souls Day and/or All Saints Day. This event is a Mexican holiday, with family members uniting to celebrate and remember their loved ones who have died. This is a festive event that is celebrated primarily in Central and South America (more photos on website).
During the next week we had a 2-part program. The first part was a salute to our veterans. The second part was a brown bag auction. Some great items were auctioned off.
On our third meeting we had our monthly business meeting along with a book swap and firming up the meal choices for our upcoming Christmas Party. Meal selections and payment must be made to Nancy Bell NLT 7 December. We also opened up nominations for next year’s officers. Currently nominated officers are:
President: Donna Wardlow
Vice President: Open
Secretary: Bob Fiero
Treasurer: Nancy Bell
Nominations are still open with voting to take place on 21 December, which will be our last meeting for 2017.
We then finished the month with a visit to Hannaford Supermarket. There we met with Katy Magoon-Fredette who is a licensed dietitian, and a Hannaford employee. We were surprised at just how many dietitians Hannaford employs. Katy went on to explain what services Hannaford dietitians make available to customers, everything ranging from free demos to free classes to healthy store tours. Furthermore, she also described the Hannaford Guiding Star system, which helps customers make nutritious food choices. We finished up the day with lunch at Denny’s where some of us had more turkey.
Activities for the Month of December:
- 7 Dec: Open Mike. Say something. Suggestions for 2018 programs, recommending movies, jokes, etc. We will pass the mike around.
- 14 Dec: Barn will be closed, no Yoga. Christmas party to be held at the Alpine Grove. Party is from 11AM to 2 PM
- 21 Dec: Hey Google: Election of officers and 2018 and monthly business meeting with celebrating December birthdays along with cake and ice cream.
- 28 Dec: Barn closed. Have a Happy New Year. See everyone on 4 January 2018
December birthdays: Sheila Carrier, Janet Chaney, Grace Dunham, and Eleanor Whittemore
If we forgot someone, it is because we do not have your birth month for our database. Please see Bob Fiero to update your information and renew your membership.
1. January activities are still TBA. Watch your email for further information.
1. We have a business meeting the last Thursday of every month (except Thanksgiving). Be sure to attend.
2. The SVTC bus service has gotten better. If you have any questions, call Nashua transportation at 880-0100 Ext 1. And you can visit the SVTC web site at www.SouheganRides.org. And if you have not registered with the “blue bus”, please do so by calling the above number.
3. Senior notification: The Hollis communication center has a procedure in place by which seniors can be registered for Health and Welfare phone calls. Forms to register for this service are available from the Communications Center.
4. For members that have Charter Cable service, the Hollis Public Service Channel is Channel 191. For those with TDS, it is Channel 12. When there is “bad” weather, please check the appropriate channels for school closings and/or delays, which will mean there will NOT be a Seniors meeting.
5. Contact the Hollis Communications Center to sign up for the Code Red notification program.
Please let me know if you have suggestions for activities you are interested in for the group.