Hollis Seniors Newsletter
Hollis, NH 03049
President: Donna Wardlow P: 673-6415 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice President: Marion Keith P: 465-2713 Email: email@example.com
Secretary: Bob Fiero P: 966-0709 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer: Nancy Bell P: 465-7822 Email: email@example.com
Editor/Photographer: Andy Seremeth P: 880-8685 Email: Aseremeth@aol.com
Programs: Sheryl Ryder P: 465-2706 Email: Sryder2706@aol.com
Hollis Seniors meet every Thursday at the Lawrence Barn Community Center. Gathering starts at 11 AM and Meals on Wheels is usually brought in at noon. A program usually follows the meal or members stay and socialize, playing games of their choice.
Hollis Seniors web site: www.Hollisseniors.org
Email group: Hollisfirstname.lastname@example.org
It is with sadness that we announce that we lost Janet Defeo this past month. We offer our most sincere condolences to Bill and his family. Janet will be missed.
Welcome to 2 new members: Richard (Rick) and Deborah (Debbie) Marchant. Say “hi” to them.
We started off the month by visiting the Hollis Fire and Rescue Department. There we were shown how to use the AED and how to do proper CPR procedures. We even got shown how to properly perform the Heimlich maneuver. This was a great first-aide refresher class. Also, the Hollis Fire and Rescue folks will visit your homes and perform a fire alarm and carbon monoxide inspection for free. As winter is coming, this would be a great time to be sure your in-home warning devices are safe and up to date.
During the next week Don McCoy detailed his responsibilities as the coordinator of the Hollis Emergency Management Center. He explained how the center got established and their relationship with FEMA. He further explained the centers ability to communicate via HAM radios in the event of major storms or disasters. Also, Don emphasized that all residents should register for the Code RED system here in Hollis. Please contact the Hollis Communications Center for instructions on how to sign up for the Code Red system if you are not currently signed up.
On our third meeting our Hollis Librarian, Laura Klain, gave a great presentation of “Beyond Books.” She explain just what is available at our Hollis Social Library; from acquiring just “books” to getting audio books, to seeking computer help, to getting videos, to … you get the idea. Please visit our great Social Library. It is not your Library of old any more.
We then finished the month with our birthday wishes along with cake and ice cream and our monthly business meeting. We also had a great time trying to identify members from the “baby” pictures that they brought in.
Past minutes were read and accepted.
Treasurer’s report was read and accepted.
We have confirmed our Christmas Party will be held on 14 December 2017 at the Alpine Grove. A deposit has been made to the Alpine Groove.
A motion was made and approved for a $50.00 donation to the Hollis Fire/Rescue Department.
Loretta Seremeth made a request for toy stuffed animals. These toys will be placed in food baskets that will be distributed by St. John Neumann Church during the Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter time frames. In advance, thank you.
Activities for the Month of November:
- 2 Nov: “Dia de la Muertos” presented by Rachael Romanow, a senior from the HBHS.
- 9 Nov: A 2 part program: first will be a Salute to our Veterans and secondly, we will have a Brown Bag auction.
- 17 Nov: This week we will have our business meeting along with cake and ice cream. ALSO we will have a book exchange. Bring in your gently used books to swap with other members. AND order your meals for 7 Dec meeting.
- 23 Nov: Barn closed.
- 30 Nov: Barn will close at 11 AM for a field trip to Hannaford Supermarket here in Nashua. At 12:30 PM we will go to Denny’s for lunch. Maybe more turkey?
November birthdays: Bill Barnes, Bob Glover, Loretta Seremeth, and Donna Wardlow.
If we forgot someone, it is because we do not have your birth month for our database. Please see Bob Fiero to update your information and renew your membership.
1. Christmas party, at the Alpine Grove, on 14 December 2017. More information to follow.
2. 7 & 21 Dec: Regular meeting at the Barn
3. 28 Dec: Barn closed: No meeting. Have a Happy New Year.
1. We have a business meeting the last Thursday of every month (except Thanksgiving). Be sure to attend.
2. The SVTC bus service has gotten better. If you have any questions, call Nashua transportation at 880-0100 Ext 1. And you can visit the SVTC web site at www.SouheganRides.org. And if you have not registered with the “blue bus”, please do so by calling the above number.
3. Senior notification: The Hollis communication center has a procedure in place by which seniors can be registered for Health and Welfare phone calls. Forms to register for this service are available from the Communications Center.
4. For members that have Charter Cable service, the Hollis Public Service Channel is Channel 191. For those with TDS, it is Channel 12. When there is “bad” weather, please check the appropriate channels for school closings and/or delays, which will mean there will NOT be a Seniors meeting.
5. Contact the Hollis Communications Center to sign up for the Code Red notification program.
Please let me know if you have suggestions for activities you are interested in for the group.