Hollis Seniors Newsletter
Hollis, NH 03049
President: Donna Wardlow P: 673-6415 Email: email@example.com
Vice President: Marion Keith P: 465-2713 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary: Bob Fiero P: 966-0709 Email: email@example.com
Treasurer: Nancy Bell P: 465-7822 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Editor/Photographer: Andy Seremeth P: 880-8685 Email: Aseremeth@aol.com
Programs: Sheryl Ryder P: 465-2706 Email: Sryder2706@aol.com
Hollis Seniors meet every Thursday at the Lawrence Barn Community Center. Gathering starts at 11 AM and Meals on Wheels is usually brought in at noon. A program usually follows the meal or members stay and socialize, playing games of their choice.
Hollis Seniors web site: www.Hollisseniors.org
Email group: Hollisemail@example.com
It is with sadness that we announce that we lost Jacqueline (Jackie) Marden this past month. We offer our most sincere condolences to Mark and his family. Jackie will be missed.
Welcome to 2 new members: Dave and Linda Seager
We started off the month by going to school again. We had a great time visiting the old Pine Hill School house, now located on Ranger Road. Sharron Howe, the town historian and owner of this old school house, gave a great presentation of the history of this one-room schoolhouse. The artifacts that were displayed provided an insight into how old schools operated. Photos are on our web site
During the next week, we had folks from the Hollis Old Home Day come by and give us a presentation on the origin of HOHD and the upcoming event.
On our third meeting we were tested to how well we could recall music and songs that were associated with different movies. This was a great presentation by Don and Sheryl.
We then finished the month with our birthday wishes along with cake and ice cream and our monthly business meeting.
Past minutes were read and accepted.
Treasurer’s report was read and accepted.
We have confirmed our Christmas Party will be held on 14 December 2017 at the Alpine Grove. A deposit has been made to the Alpine Groove.
A motion was made and approved for a $50.00 donation to the Hollis Fire/Rescue Department.
Loretta Seremeth made a request for toy stuffed animals. These toys will be placed in food baskets that will be distributed by St. John Neumann Church during the Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter time frames. In advance, thank you.
Activities for the Month of October:
- 5 Oct: Meals on wheels and then we will all drive to the Hollis Fire/Rescue Department to received a lecture and demonstration on the AED device and the new CPR device. The barn will close at 12:30.
- 12 Oct: Don McCoy, our Hollis EM Director, will give a presentation regarding the Hollis Emergency Management Office.
- 14 Oct: The Hollis Heritage Commission will be sponsoring a fundraising event to rebuild the Cooperage Shop. The event is a Vintage Car Drive-it-Day with an entry fee of $20.00 per car. This event will start at 9AM, at the Lawrence Barn.
- 19 Oct: Laura Klain, Director of the Hollis Social Library, will talk to us about “Beyond Books.”
- 26 Oct: Business meeting with cake and ice cream. Also, please bring in a picture of yourself (from toddler through high school) and let’s see if members can guess who you are.
October birthdays: Sandy Belanger, Dee Haddad, Peggy Van Blarigan, Janet Lawrence and Linda Seager.
If we forgot someone, it is because we do not have your birth month for our database. Please see Bob Fiero to update your information and renew your membership.
1. Thanksgiving table.
2. Christmas party, at the Alpine Grove, on 14 December 2017. More information to follow.
1. We have a business meeting the last Thursday of every month (except Thanksgiving). Be sure to attend.
2. The SVTC bus service has gotten better. If you have any questions, call Nashua transportation at 880-0100 Ext 1. And you can visit the SVTC web site at www.SouheganRides.org. And if you have not registered with the “blue bus”, please do so by calling the above number.
3. Senior notification: The Hollis communication center has a procedure in place by which seniors can be registered for Health and Welfare phone calls. Forms to register for this service are available from the Communications Center.
4. For members that have Charter Cable service, the Hollis Public Service Channel is Channel 191. For those with TDS, it is Channel 12. When there is “bad” weather, please check the appropriate channels for school closings and/or delays, which will mean there will NOT be a Seniors meeting.
Please let me know if you have suggestions for activities you are interested in for the group.