Hollis Seniors Newsletter
Hollis, NH 03049
President: Donna Wardlow P: 673-6415 Email: email@example.com
Vice President: Marion Keith P: 465-2713 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary: Bob Fiero P: 966-0709 Email: email@example.com
Treasurer: Nancy Bell P: 465-7822 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Editor/Photographer: Andy Seremeth P: 880-8685 Email: Aseremeth@aol.com
Programs: Sheryl Ryder P: 465-2706 Email: Sryder2706@aol.com
Hollis Seniors meet every Thursday at the Lawrence Barn Community Center. Gathering starts at 11 AM and Meals on Wheels is usually brought in at noon. A program usually follows the meal or members stay and socialize, playing games of their choice.
Hollis Seniors web site: www.Hollisseniors.org
Email group: Hollisemail@example.com
Welcome back! I hope everyone had a great summer. Fall is just around the corner.
During August we were still active with events. We started the month off with having a pizza party, which was enjoyed by all. Pizza is always a favorite.
During the following week we were all tested on our knowledge of our U. S. Presidents, past and present. From their favorite treats (pork-rinds to jelly beans) our Presidents all seem to have some unique tastes and habits. Great educational refresher about our Presidents.
At our next meeting, we had our customary yoga class and then headed for a tour of the Timber Post Bed & Breakfast, located at 162 Broad Street, Hollis. This B&B, run by Vivian Girard, is housed in a house that was built in 1774. Vivian was gracious enough to explain the history of the dwelling and give us a guided tour (see photo). If anyone is having guests visit in the future, and you need a place for them to stay, call Vivian at 603-557-4534 or via email at Timberpost@gmail.com. After the tour, we all headed for lunch at Zacharia’s.
The following week we had 2 videos, one showing the most dangerous railroads in the world and another video showing highlights of the Grand Canyon. Wow. What a comparison!
We then finished the month with our birthday wishes along with cake and ice cream. And, here we are in September starting our MOW program again.
Activities for the Month of September:
- 7 Sep: Meals on Wheels returns and, after lunch, we continue with a tour of the old Hollis Pine Hill School house, circa 1890, that is now on Ranger Road. This is a 1 room schoolhouse and Sharon Howe; Town Historian will be our guide. There will be some chairs in the room, but recommend you bring a folding chair. Do NOT park on the road, but in the field.
- 11 and 12 Sep: AARP safe driving classes at the Nashua Senior Center. Call the senior center at 889-6155 to register.
- 14 Sep: Volunteers from the Hollis Old Home Days will present a preview of the planned events
- 15-16 Sep: Hollis Old Home Days. Enjoy the days.
- 21 Sep: Movie Music Memories: Match the song to the movie, ALONG with popcorn for all.
- 28 Sep: Business meeting along with birthday celebrations.
September birthdays: Barbara Davis, John DiClemente, David Glover, Marion Keith, Sandy Mason, Terry Murphy, Margie Rowe, and Marion Sherwin.
If we forgot someone, it is because we do not have your birth month for our database. Please see Bob Fiero to update your information and renew your membership.
1. There will be an AARP Safe Driving Class conducted at the Nashua Senior Center, on 11 and 12 September, 2017, from 9:30 AM-12:30 PM each day. Fee is $15 for AARP members and $20 for non-AARP members. Please call the Nashua Seniors Center at 889-6155 to register.
2. For those interested, 12 September, author Dr. James Wright will be presenting a lecture on his newly released book: “Enduring Vietnam: A Story that has no end.” The presentation will take place at Southern NH University, at 6:30PM.
3. On 28 September, at the Hopkinton Town Library at 7PM, there will be a display of American Artists and WWI paintings.
1. We have a business meeting the last Thursday of every month (except Thanksgiving). Be sure to attend.
2. The SVTC bus service has gotten better. If you have any questions, call Nashua transportation at 880-0100 Ext 1. And you can visit the SVTC web site at www.SouheganRides.org. And if you have not registered with the “blue bus”, please do so by calling the above number.
3. Senior notification. The Hollis communication center has a procedure in place by which seniors can be registered for Health and Welfare phone calls. Forms to register for this service are available from the Communications Center.
4. For members that have Charter Cable service, the Hollis Public Service Channel is Channel 191. For those with TDS, it is Channel 12. When there is “bad” weather, please check the appropriate channels for school closings and/or delays, which will mean there will be no seniors meeting.
Please let me know if you have suggestions for activities you are interested in for the group.